Featured Post

Fleshing Out the Faction: Sharkey's Rogues (and The Chief's Ruffians)

Hey Reader! Welcome back to the blog! Having recently run Sharkey's Rogues at our 2024 Spring Zephyr Tournament , I've been thinking...

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Different Project: Bretonnia

Dear Reader,

Greetings from the Forge!  As we come off of the Hunters Red October Tournament this past weekend, I thought I'd take a moment to highlight some of the painting projects I've been working on before putting up summaries of each match (which will be forthcoming!).  I know that most of our loyal readership is not involved in the Fantasy side of the Warhammer profession, but I figured that even if you're not a Warhammer Fantasy person, chances are that if you follow this blog and are anything like the contributors, you may appreciate at least the theme and painting scheme that I'm doing, :)  With no further ado, a few things we've been working on here at the How:


If you love medieval chivalry and the Arthurian Legend, you should seriously look into the Knights of Bretonnia.  I love the models that GW has done so far (though the book needs an update.  Badly), and I'm looking forward to any new models they make.  The units highlighted above are Bretonnian Pegasus Knights, who are elite cavalry for the Brets, and naturally stand out to me as the Pegasus is one of my favorite creatures ever (up there with the unicorn and the centaur).



The color scheme is something I wanted to highlight in this post: my Bretonnian army will be composed of a number of the medieval military orders of the 13th and 14th centuries.  These Peg Knights are painted as knights from the Hospitaller Order of St. John, in their traditional colors (White Sicilian Cross on black).  All of the livery was painted free-hand (which I'm not very good at), so this forced me to make some hard decisions regarding which orders I took (as the Crusader Brethren of the Order of St. George have an almost identical red cross on white as the Knights Templar, which is almost exactly like the livery for the Knights of St. Santiago).  My plan for my other knights is to paint a unit of Teutonic Knights in the traditional black cross on white (another unit of Peg Knights), infantry with the Knights Templar colors (red cross on white), a unit of Knights of the Realm painted as the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre (which will require a new brush for detailing; that one will be intense), and a unit of Grail Knights painted as Livonian Sword Brethren.  I'll update you all as I get more of them done, :)

In the meantime, I'm also working on finishing more cav for Rohan, a few Rohan infantry conversions (the guys from my post on mounted Rangers on the North), and putting final touches on a completely mounted Rohan force (so battle reports forthcoming!).  I'm planning on spending November working on Rohan, the first army I ever bought, and one that has been woefully neglected this year, doing both touch-up painting jobs and adding a few new units to my repertoire.  I'll also be painting up my Bretonnian units as I get caught up on Psych and re-watch the Firefly TV series (as Zorro purchased the new Firefly board game, which is extremely well-made and has me interested in re-watching the series, :) ), so yay for lots of TV time in November, :)  Until then, happy hobbying!

Watching the stars,

Glenstorm

"Lie back on the floor," said Firenze in a calm voice, "and observe the heavens.  Here is written, for those who can see, the fortune of our races." ~ Firenze, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment